The marketing material for ZLINE's KZ-30 wall mount range hood describes it as a flexible kitchen essential. The brand makes it clear that they have aimed for ease of installation, as well as use. Ease of setup is always welcome, but will that translate into a range hood that performs well? The brand is well-known for its attractive, straightforward marketing.
You can install the KZ-30 hood ducted or ductless, which already makes it more flexible than many other units on the market. ZLINE also assures buyers that this is a range hood which will withstand years of use. Manufactured using stainless steel, it's clear that it has been designed with ease of maintenance in mind, too.
The ZLINE KZ-30 is generally 'easy' on the face of things. But how does it perform in practice? Are there any factors which you should make you concerned?
In this review, I’ll take a look at everything you need to know about ZLINE’s KZ hoods. Specifically, I’ll be looking at the KZ-30, the smaller, 30” model, for the purpose of this overview.
Overview on the Features
- Dimensions: 29.75” × 19.75” × 2.75” (hood), up to 32” (chimney)
- Weight: 50lbs
- Maximum Air Flow: 760 CFM
- Also available in a larger 36” model.
- Lighting: 2 x 3W Directional LEDs.
- There is a three-year warranty for parts supplied (confirm that it has not changed before you buy).
- Built-in stainless steel.
- Up to four fan speeds are available.
- Install the hood ducted or ductless as you prefer, using charcoal filters.
- Low noise emission at less than 60db.
- It arrives with dishwasher-friendly baffle filters.
- The hood should ideally be 30” to 36” above the stove.
- The hood has a built-in timer and shut-off system.
- There is a push-button control panel supplied for ease of use.
- Chimney extensions are available for taller ceilings.
- You can clean the unit with a specialist steel cleaner and microfiber cloth.
What Makes It One of the Best?
- The unit is built for easy install, though you can ask a contractor to help you. Ease of use after installation, too, is promised – and most users seem to confirm this. However, some suggest expert help may not be necessary. Your confidence and experience, in this case, may well vary.
- It is built to run much quieter than other range hoods, depending on your speed choice. Four-speed settings will likely be more than enough for most kitchen users. Again, this may well depend on your own needs and experience.
- This range hood can be installed as ducted, or ductless, for flexibility. You'll need to make use of charcoal filters for a ductless installation, which is a fairly standard process.
- Baffle filters can be removed and cleaned in a dishwasher for easy maintenance and care. That's always welcome.
- 760 CFM should be enough power to suck up greasy emissions with ease. You may not need that much power, but it’s handy to have and you can easily control the power using the controls.
- The system comes fitted with a push-button control panel, which is preferred by many people to touch panels. Some users claim it's easier to tell when equipment is 'on' or 'off' this way.
- There is also a shut-off feature on the built-in timer for safety purposes, which is always welcome – just in case.
- Brushed stainless steel is a good, neutral look for most kitchens. Stainless steel is also easy to clean, making it even easier to maintain.
- Maximum chimney height of 32” should fit most US ceilings, but it’s always worth double-checking your ceiling height before you buy.
- Customers have lots of positive things to say about ZLINE’s excellent service record. ZLINE’s website and marketing offers plenty of valuable information, which is going to be a good thing for anyone unsure of what to buy.
- It isn't difficult to find out more about the product or to buy directly from the manufacturer, either. However, this range hood is also widely available to purchase at various stores and outlets. You can easily buy the product through sites such as Amazon, but if you’d prefer to check it out in person, you can.
Features I Don't like About It
- Charcoal filters are not included with the hood and would need to be purchased separately if you want a ductless installation.
- It is considered a reasonably short range hood compared to other collections. That isn't going to be a problem for anyone with shorter ceilings; however, it's another point to consider.
- Marketing and design suggest a low decibel rating; however, the highest speeds reportedly get quite loud. Unfortunately, anyone in need of greater suction is likely going to need to put up with a fair amount of noise, but this is not at all unexpected.
- Some users report issues with the light housing; however, build quality is otherwise well-received. ZLINE models generally receive good praise in this regard.
- The model is only available wall mountable, which may disappoint people looking for island equivalents. However, ZLINE does have plenty of other alternatives to choose from.
I Would Buy It If:
- I wanted to buy a wall-mounted hood from a reputable manufacturer.
- I was going to install my range hood without the need for expert help or guidance.
- I needed a range hood which can be installed with or without ducting, as required.
- I valued excellent customer service and may need help getting started.
- I required a range hood, which is easy to use, clean, and maintain.
- I value a range hood with an auto shut-off function.