Cosmo has risen among the ranks when it comes to the best selling range hoods on Amazon with this model currently eyeing the top spot, looking to beat the cheap and affordable Broan 413004 range hood. It’s also the most popular among our readers here on Kitease. Other than manufacturing range hoods, Cosmo as a brand also has their foot into other industries such as induction cooktops, ovens, dishwashers and more. That’s enough praise, let’s dive right in and look into every minute detail of the Cosmo 5MU30.
It is important to know that there are two very similar models of the Cosmo under cabinet range hood. The model being reviewed here is the 5MU30, the other very similar model is the 5U30-PA. For the main differences between the two (ducting type and CFM) see the table further down this page. Before placing your order, I suggest you thoroughly go through the product description page.
Overview on the Features
- Dimensions: 29.8" in Width X 19.8" in Length and 5.5" in Height.
- Weight: 16.5 pounds
- Voltage requirements: 110 - 120 V and 60 Hz.
- This range hood is also available in a 36" setting, under a slightly different name, the COS-MU36, both of the variants having a 20 gauge, 430-grade brushed stainless steel finish.
- The motor has a maximum power of 200 CFM. This is suitable for low to medium exhaust needs in case of a ducted installation, whereas it's more than suitable for most homes if you chooes the recirculating option. Most people would say a range hood must be ducted when possible.
- The optimal distance from the cooktop to the range hood is between 24 and 36 inches.
- For ducted installations, can be vented from the top or the back with a circular vent of 5" in diameter.
- The range hood can be mounted under a cabinet or directly on the wall.
- Can be operated at three speeds.
- Consists of two, 3W LED bulbs which are placed at the back of the range hood.
- Very quiet operation with sound levels being a max of 65 dB at the highest operating speed.
- The product is manufacturered in China, but their support is entirely US based.
|Range Hood Model||COS-5MU30||COS-5U30-PA|
|Ducting (top and rear)||5" Circular||9.8" X 3.23" Rectangular|
|Lighting||2 X 3W LED||2 X 2W LED|
What Makes It One of the Best?
- It can be installed as both, a recirculating range hood as well as a ducted range hood. If you really like this model and want to have a ducted installation, it is recommend that you get the COS-5U30-PA with 250 CFM instead of COS-5MU30 at just 200 CFM.
- You have two ducting options, from the rear or from the top. You simply close the outlet that you won’t be using with the provided cover. In case of a ductless installation, you close both ends. To satisfy the requirements of most customers, the brand has two different models one with a circular duct outlet and the other with a rectangular outlet as seen in the table above. Note that the charcoal filters for the ductless installation are sold separately and are not included in the original package.
- The unit operates at a comfortable sound intensity of 65 dB which is a bit louder than a regular conversation at a restaurant. Most customers have reported that the sound level does not bother them too much.
- The control panel is simplistic and uses push buttons rather than an electronic interface. This will set you free from some of the control circuit problems the higher priced range hoods tend to showcase a few months or years after installation.
- Customers who have bought this range hood on Amazon were satisfied with the packaging. It’s not uncommon for range hoods to be shipped without sufficient protection leading to dents on arrival.
- The installation process is easy and it can take an average DIY homeowner about 2-3 hours to complete it on thier own. The unit is secured to the cabinet using four Phillips screws and the required tools/accessories are included in the package, so you don’t have to buy anything separately. If you don’t particularly fancy DIY projects, you can also hire a professional contractor to do it for you.
Features I Don't like About It
- The model comes with an aluminum multi-layer mesh grease filter which can be easily removed and washed, but the filters are not dishwasher friendly according to the product manual. They can however be washed by hand. It is recommended that you wash the filters every few weeks or months, depending on the use in order to prolong the period between which you have to replace the filters.
- The LED lights are not the brightest out there, so you cannot rely only on them when cooking food in your kitchen because they are not powerful enough to light up your entire cooking area.
- I definitely have to say this again, if you cook a lot of greasy food, this hood may not be the best. Also, if you use all your four burners at the same time, I would not suggest this hood, because at 200 and even the other model at 250 CFM, aren’t powerful enough to pull in all the exhaust.
- Depending on whether you buy the 30” or 36” model, you’re going to end up having a gap of nearly a quarter inch on each side of the range hood. This is because the model is not exactly 30” and 36” respectively. All range hoods are not built to the exact dimensions in order for them to have some tolerance and provide you some leeway to place the hood between cabinets, but the gap with this range hood is noticeable.
- The duct that is supposed to be 5” in diameter, well that’s not really 5” either. It’s more like 4.5”. This can be a problem. I definitely think these guys need to consult someone on their measurements.
I Would Buy It If:
- I was mainly looking for a recirculating range hood. I personally would never get this if I were looking for a ducted range hood, unless I cook light.
- I am looking for a good looking stainless steel range hood that matches my other kitchen appliances.
- I want a range hood that is light and easy to install, yet durable.
- I was looking for a range hood from a brand with decent customer service.
- I do not primarily depend on my range hood to brighten up my cooktop.
- I were looking for a cheap kitchen hood.