A range hood with a solid construction, the BV-RH-801 is quite a popular range hood, especially among people who cook a lot of asian food, steaks or fish. It’s slightly more powerful than the Chef PS18 with a suction capacity of 900 CFM compared to the Chef’s 860 CFM, but it also outperforms the Chef in the sound department. The drawback though, is that this model does not have a grease capture unit and therefore needs to be cleaned more often to continue working efficiently. That’s enough of a comparison, let’s take a look at the specifications and dive into the many benefits and drawbacks of the BV-RH-801, shall we?
Overview on the Features
- Dimensions: 29.5” wide, 19.5” deep and 6” in height.
- The shipped product weighs 39.1 pounds
- Powerful dual motors that operate at 4 fan speed settings delivering a maximum of 900 CFM. The four speeds are termed Quiet, Low, Medium and High. Quiet: 385 CFM, Low: 490 CFM, Medium: 615 CFM and High: 900 CFM.
- The noise level at these respective speed options are 1.5 sones, 3.5 sones, 5.3 sones and 7.5 sones respectively.
- The minimum installation height above the cook top is 24” and the maximum is 32” with the recommended height being between 27” and 30”.
- It cannot function as a recirculating range hood and must be ducted outside. Also, you only have one ducting option, a circular duct through the top with a diameter of 6”.
- Ships with two high intensity, LED bulbs, each 3W.
- By default, it is set up to be installed under a cabinet and cannot be installed directly on a wall.
- Manufactured in China.
What Makes It One of the Best?
- You’re free to cook whatever you like without having to worry about your home smelling like the meal you cooked for a week or more. Whether you’re steaming vegetables and boiling some eggs, frying a steak or fish, cooking spicy Indian food or aromatic East-Asian food, there’s a perfect fan setting that would drive out all the fumes and odor.
- The range hood is amazingly quiet on the two lowest speed settings and at the highest speed setting it sounds somewhat like a vacuum cleaner. Since most people very rarely operate the hood on its highest setting and even when they do it’s for a short period of time, this is not a problem at all. More importantly, I would personally prefer a hood that makes some sound but gets the job done than have an exhaust system that is super quiet but doesn’t really perform.
- The 3W LED lights are well positioned and brighten up the cooking surface very well.
- It’s got push button controls, that’s one less electronic circuit that could get damaged!
- The stainless steel baffle filters are easy to remove and reattach. They are also dishwasher friendly and it is advised that you wash them frequently and only reattach once completely dry.
- The product ships with an anti-scratch covering that you can leave on until the product is installed.
- The stainless steel has a satin finish, some people confuse this with a brushed finish and complain that the range hood does not have a brushed finish once they unpack it. There’s a difference between the two. A polished satin finish is a better choice for an appliance that has the tendency to get moist (the steam from the cook top on your range hood for example), as it is less prone to corrosion.
- This unit is tall people friendly! It’s got no sharp corners and edges.
- It’s a plug and play unit with a three prong plug. You can always strip off the plug and hardwire the unit if necessary.
- Customer service is very responsive and helpful.
- It comes with a 2 year product warranty period. Please check this out before buying.
Features I Don't like About It
- It’s heavy and therefore not a one man DIY project, unless you use a jack to hold the hood in place while you mark the screw holes, etc. There is enough room for regular sized hands to be able to mark the holes from the bottom of the hood when the hood is held against the cabinet.
- You are limited to one venting option, a top circular vent. It’s impossible to vent from the back. For optimum performance make sure that your vent pipe matches that of the outlet, i.e. 6”.
- The hood ships with wall anchors, but there is no other mounting hardware provided. You therefore, have to buy your own screws and washers to mount it under your cabinet.
- The hood does not include a template with the screw holes and the vent hole.
- The lights have just an on and off function and cannot be dimmed. They therefore cannot serve as night lights.
- The hood unfortunately does not have an auto shut-off function, a feature that is present in similar priced models of other brands.
- A backdraft damper is not included.
- The protective covering is unexpectedly difficult to take off. It seems like they’ve used super glue.
- Must be installed under a cabinet and cannot be attached to the wall. Quite a few under cabinet range hoods in this price range and with this functionality also have the option to be installed directly on a wall.
- The BV logo is etched onto the front of the range hood.
I Would Buy It If:
- I need a range hood with multiple speed capabilities, with the maximum being sufficient for intense cooking.
- I were looking for a quiet range hood.
- I had someone to help me install the hood, it’s a two person job.
- I was not looking for a range hood with a night light function.
- It is possible for me to install ducting.
- Customer service is important to me.