KitchenAid is a popular brand with culinary enthusiasts across the country. They're mainly known for producing colorful kitchen accessories and cooking implements for a wide range of uses. The KitchenAid KSM150PSER 5 quart artisan tilt-head stand mixer, while a mouthful to say, is a model popular with online buyers.
As one of Amazon’s best-selling household stand mixers it seems to be winning plenty of people over. Let's take a look at the modern Artisan mixer in detail.
Overview of the Features
- Dimensions: 14.1” × 8.7” × 13.9”.
- Weight: 26lbs
- Wattage: 325W
- Capacity: 5 Quarts (20 cups)
- It is available in up to 20 different colors, with 'Empire Red' offered as a default
- The 5-quart bowl is crafted from stainless steel, it is polished and has a comfortable handle.
- There is a 10-speed control for steady mixing or quick whipping as required.
- The mixer is designed and manufactured in Ohio, US.
- There is a pouring shield built into the design for extra precision.
- A dough hook and a beater is provided; both being dishwasher safe. Also included is a 6-wire whip.
- The mixing unit is compatible with more than 15 different attachments for use with a variety of food and recipes.
- There is a 59 point planetary mixing action offered which means that there are 59 touch-points per rotation around the bowl for thorough mixing of ingredients.
What Makes It One of the Best?
- Among its users, many are impressed by its size as well as the power it has available despite its small stature. It holds 5 quarts, which means it will probably be enough for a good batch of cookies (approximately 9 dozen) or 4 loaves of bread. However, unlike some other mixers capable of the same, it shouldn’t take up too much room.
- The tilt-head design makes it easy to access the bowl and the beater allowing you to easily add in ingredients without the unit getting in your way.
- There are lots of colors to choose from. While you may only get three or four choices elsewhere, users are pleased with up to 20 different colors from which to pick. That means you should be able to choose a model which blends in well with your kitchen design, regardless of its look and style.
- It's easy to clean. The cleanable parts are designed to detach easily and can be cleaned in a dishwasher. It needs simple maintenance and upkeep, which you should probably expect. Some reviews state the bowl may easily mark, however.
- It should last for years and years of thorough mixing and use. Some customers report that this model of mixer has stood in their kitchens for over a decade. It's a high-power version of some of KitchenAid's less expensive products. It's not just more power, there is also greater versatility with this model.
- It can handle a wide variety of mixing concerns. Some users claim it is ideal for bread-making, while others use it to whip cream and sauce. With plenty of different attachments and parts available, it seems to be an all-in-one machine for most mixing needs. That’s likely to be the big selling point for a lot of people. It means having to buy less equipment elsewhere.
- As stated in the previous point, there are plenty of different KitchenAid stand mixer attachments that compliment the product increasing its value.
Condition the Bowl Before Use
Due to the polishing process to make the bown shiny, there may be some residue on the mixing bowl which will not be cleaned using a dishwasher or even by simple hand washing. This residue would get onto your food items if they are oily and it is not harmful, but nonetheless it can and should be removed before use. Watch the video below to see the residue getting onto cookie dough.
KitcheAid therefore recommends that you swish around very little olive oil around the bowl, let it sit for a while before you wipe it away. Do not wash away, wipe with a towel or paper towel. Now wash the bowl by hand with some hot water and detergent.
Alternatively, you could also use baking soda paste or a mixture of lemon juice and salt to get it cleaned up.
Features I Don't like About It
- The interior beater doesn’t appear to be of the best quality. Various customers state that there are tougher beaters out there. There is also the argument that it may not be built to handle super-thick mixes. However, for most traditional uses, there seem to be absolutely no problem.
- The noise maybe a little too much for some. There doesn't appear to be an emphasis on 'quiet mixing' in the marketing of this machine. However, there is a sliding speed scale which you can use to fine-tune power and therefore also the noise.
- It can create a mess when not set up right. Some have complained that the unit can wobble, which leads to spillages. While the unit is otherwise hard wearing all round, it may be worth taking things steady with tougher or more intensive kitchen tasks.
- The bowl quality can vary. While the unit itself is famously robust, there have been complaints about the bowl's manufacture. The brand reportedly builds its mixers on home soil, in Ohio. Some claim the bowls are cheaply made in India.
- The pouring shield, too, while protective, is claimed to be cheaply-made. While many people claim that it serves its purpose, others are concerned that you are getting poor quality manufacturing for the price tag.
- It may not be the most user-friendly mixer on the market. Reviews and opinions suggest it can be fiddly to get used to and to clean outside of the dishwasher.
I Would Buy It If:
- I was looking for a mixer that combines innovative build quality and versatile design.
- I wanted a kitchen mixer to blend with my unique color scheme. Twenty shades are more than enough choice.
- I wanted to mix a variety of different foods and recipes.
- I love to cook and would rather have one unit for multiple purposes. There are plenty of useful accessories that attach to the power hub of this mixer, right from grinders to pasta makers, juicers and more.
- I wanted to invest in a durable mixer, and noise levels and cleaning demands do not bother me.